Sunday, September 23, 2012

8/29/2012 -Prequel: “Needle” Biopsy my ass!

August 29, 2012 - Wednesday

"Eighty percent of these biopsies come back negative."  - tech assistant to me after my biopsy


Two weeks of living with the torture of not knowing is coming to an end—or so I thought….  Of course, I’m so anxious, I left my cell phone home this morning before heading to work.  My cousins are waiting to hear from me about my biopsy, but now I have no contact with the world—I’m very smart- *sigh*  My appointment for the stereotactic biopsy is at 1:00pm today.  I’m suppose to come in a little earlier to check in, and so I report to work that morning, and head to my appointment during lunchtime, taking the rest of the day off. 

I arrive at the same office building place where my mammogram and ultra sound was done.  I am taken back directly to the room where the procedure is going to be done (no changing room first this time).  The tech assistant is this absolutely wonderful woman, thank God!  After my appointment, I described her to my friends as that type of person you meet that makes you want to just go out and buy a Hallmart card for! Lol!  (I did send her something after I got my results thanking her- she was that good).  

This room appears smaller than the room where the mammogram was done, but it could also have felt that way, because there was more equipment in this room.  In the middle of the room is what appears to be an exam table, but there’s a hole in the middle of this table.  Under the table is a bunch of equipment.  To the corner of the room is a computer and more equipment.  Shely, the assistant, makes me feel comfortable as I make jokes about the whole thing.  She places a pillow over the hole in the table and tells me to sit there.  I do.  She then begins to explain to me in great detail what is about to happen.  She is awesome.  She says at the end of it, they leave a little piece of titanium in the area where they took the biopsy, so that if I have cancer, they know where to go, or if I don’t have cancer, they know in future mammograms, when they see that titanium that it had already been biopsied and is not cancer.  She explains that this won’t affect an MRI, and I respond with hence the use of titanium versus other metal.  She is impressed with my apparent smartness of knowing this—lol!  She explains she is use to much older women who are confused usually by this concept.  We talk about our personal lives and in addition to the surgery about to take place.  I am at ease with her, and she is amazing with all her knowledge and compassion.  Finally, I am told to undress from the waist up and hang my clothing on a hanging thing where my purse hangs.  She comes in and has me lay on the table face down with my left boob going through the hole in the table.  She gives me a pillow for my right arm and a towel for my head.  Shit! The towel hurt.  I wished the pillow was on my head and towel on my arm by the end as I felt myself beginning to tremble from the pain and discomfort.  She also hands me a stress ball if I want to squeeze it.  She had explained I need to keep still, because it is all computer generated and the needle goes in and then shoots out further inside getting samples, so I should not move.  No pressure, right?  *sigh*

The table lifts a little and she is tugging and twisting on my boob below trying to get it in place as she goes back and forth to the computer checking it out.  She finally finds the calcifications.  I think that’s a mammogram machine below and it shows where the calcification is so that the “needle” is aimed directly on it before it goes inside me as it is all computer generated, precise.  All the doctor really does is make the incision after sticking me with anesthesia.  After a while of tugging and squeezing and finally getting in place, the doctor comes in.  He’s a different doctor from the first one who did the ultra sound, and I BRIEFLY meet him (think about it, I’m lying face down with my head titled to the right and my left boob pinched below the table topless - not exactly a nice to meet you handshake moment).  The assistant suggests to the doctor that they use the “petite” and he agrees.  Hell! I’m thinking, yes! Please nothing big cutting me- lol!  They work on me under the table.  I tell the doctor to use a lot of anesthesia- lol!  He injects me with the local anesthesia.  He tells me he’s going to make the incision, and I say OK.  Then I hear, “You have tough skin.”  WTH?  Not exactly what I want to hear as he’s making the incision, so I don’t respond.  I want to laugh, but I don’t want to move and they cut me wrong- lol!  Awkward.  He runs the machine and I’m guessing samples are collected.  They leave me on the table and have some of the samples handed out somewhere to verify that they got enough calcifications before they stop.  Finally, it’s confirmed, and the doctor leaves.  Just like that- he’s in and he’s out.  

It’s really the tech that is everything.  She stays with me and I get up.  I’m freaked out a bit by all the blood that I see below and as she tries to tape my incision- lots of blood.  No stitches, just tape.  She gives me direct strict instructions on how to care for my incision, and tells me straight that if I get an infection it’s my own fault, because everything is sterile and I need to keep it clean and dry.  I want to reply, gee! You don’t have to be so subtle about it- lol!  After I am dressed, she informs me that I should have worn a sports bra.  I let her know that the unhelpful receptionist kept telling me to “make sure you wear a bra the day of the biopsy.”  But she did not clarify what kind of bra.  I thought it was strange she kept saying it as if women purposely go around braless.  I thought about the sports bra but that would entail me lifting my arm, which I couldn’t really do.  She said the sports bra is more support and it best, so I made sure to wear a sports bra that whole week.  She said she heard the same thing from other patients not being told about the sports bra.  After I’m bandaged and dressed, she asks if I want to see the samples taken and needle used.  I say yes, and I think crap! I forgot my cell phone, otherwise I would have taken pictures! Lol! Since I was not able to, here are some pictures I found online that are similar to what was used on me. 






The needle is NOT a needle; it’s more like a pipe.  Crap!  It looks like the liposuction tube you see on those reality plastic surgery TV shows.  It’s pretty huge, and she said that was the “petite”- I was relieved they didn’t use the regular- sheesh!  She showed me the sample, and showed me what was fiber and what was fat and the calcifications were in the bottom.  It was very cool to see, I must admit.  But it hurt my boob more thinking that much was just sucked out of it. Yikes! She hands me directions to take care of my incision, and also a sheet that has five names typed with telephone numbers.  She said here’s a list of breast surgeons.  I was taken aback, and asked her what would I need that for.  She responds in case I have cancer.  Ah, reality again sinks in.  She tries to reassure me that 80% of the biopsy’s they do come back negative, so I shouldn’t worry too much.  She said I should have my results in 2 days, so Friday August 31st is the day I’ve been waiting for- just end this uncertainty already as my mind is going mental.  Before I leave, she walks me to the front and hugs me.  She then remembers she had wanted to ask about my tattoos, and I told her the main one is lady justice, because I'm a lawyer.  She responds surprised and says, "so much for stereotypes."  lol! I head straight to my cousin Clare's house after, because I forgot my cell phone and told her I would check her earlier that week after the biopsy since she lived just down the street from the place.  I went and saw her and the kids and told her I was fine and just wanted to go home.  I explained I left my cell phone home all day, and just wanted to let her know I was OK, and I went home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment